- Studies at Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich and at University of Augsburg, Germany in education, psychology and sociology (professors Schiefele, Ulich, Keupp, Beck, Stegmueller); 1978 M.A. Munich (excellent); 1985 PhD in psychology (m.c.l.); 1990 habilitation in psychology (both University of Augsburg).
- Research assistant University of Munich since 1980, assistant professor University of Augsburg 1985–1993; founder of the research group for psycho-gerontology (together with W. Saup) at educational and developmental psychology unit; faculty board for family research (together with Fthenakis); university pilot project on university course evaluation; research cooperations with Friboug (Switzerland), Erlangen, Bamberg, Weingarten (Germany)
- 1993-2002 professor for Educational Psychology at the University of Education at Ludwigsburg, Germany; vice dean 1996–98 (organizer and author of the first faculty evaluation report in Baden-Wuerttemberg universities of education) and vice rector for research 1998–2000 (founder and head of a research consulting unit at the university); head of a research group for young academics of the Baden-Wuerttemberg ministry (“FUN-Kolleg”); founder of an interdisciplinary center for qualitative research; member of the working group on research on classroom teaching; evaluation of a Baden-Wuerttemberg project network on virtual learning; research cooperation with university of North Carolina at Charlotte (USA)
- Invited professor for Qualitative Methods at Universities of Klagenfurt (1993/94), Vienna (1998/99) and Freiburg/Switzerland (1996-2002).
- Since 2002 professor for Psychological Methodology at University of Klagenfurt/Austria; head of the Department of Applied Psychology and Methodological Research, founder and head of the Center for Evaluation and Research Counseling, University of Klagenfurt. Member of Foundation Convent, senator, faculty board, institute director (2003-05 and 2010-2011) and several university boards.
- Retirement october 2017